The process with ayahuasca is not a substitute for medical treatment, psychiatric or psychological, but it can be complement in a therapeutic process of personal growth.
At Etnopharmakon we conduce a series of medical questionnaires to assess the safety of his participation in our seminars. Although the use of ayahuasca is considered safe for adults in good physical condition, the alkaloids content in it interact in different ways with the serotoninergic system, and in some cases they produce side effects when taken in combination with other drugs. (See list below).
If you are currently being treated, and has doubts about his participation in an ayahuasca session, consult your doctor or therapist.Physical / psychological conditions that could cause a risk to his health:
- cardiovascular diseases
- severe respiratory diseases
- psychological disorders: schizophrenia, psychosis, bipolar, suicidal tendencies, etc.)
The following medication is dangerous in combination with ayahuasca:
This list is not complete, for added security and any doubt you should consult your doctor to ask for clarification about the contraindications and possible interactions between your particular medication with MAOI (ayahuasca).
- I-Mao: Marplan (isocarboxazid), Nardil (phenelzine), Emsam, Eldepryl, and Zelapar (selegiline), Parnate (tranylcypromine), Aurorix and Manerix (moclobemide), Pirazidol (pirlindole).
- SSRIs: Celexa (citalopram), Lexapro and Cipralex (escitalopram), Luvox (fluvoxamine), Paxil and Seroxat (paroxetine), Prozac (fluoxetine), Zoloft and Lustral (sertraline).
- Other Anti-Depressants: serotonin-norepinephrine inhibitors (SNRIs), serotonin antagonist and reuptake inhibitors (SARIs), norepinephrine inhibitors (NRIs), norepinephrine-dopamine reuptake inhibitors (NDRIs), tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs), tetracyclic antidepressants (TeCAs), noradrenergic and specific serotonergic antidepressants (NaSSAs), and serotonin modulator and stimulators (SMSs).
- Benzodiazepines: Valium (diazepam), Xanax (alpazolam), Halcion (triazolam), ProSom (estazolam), Non-benzodiazepine sleep medications: Ambien (zolpidem), Lunesta (eszopiclone), Sonata (zalepon), Barbiturates: Mebaral (mephobarbital), Luminal Sodium (phenobarbital), Nembutal (pentobarbital), and any other barbiturate.
- Alpha Blockers: doxazosin, phentolamine, indoramin, phenoxybenzamine, prazosin, terazosin, tolazoline.
- Beta Blockers: atenolol, metoprolol, nadolol, nebivolol, oxprenolol, pindolol, propanolol, timolol.
- Calcium Channel Blockers: amlodipine, clinidipine, felodipine, isradipine, lercanidipine, levamlodipine, nicardipine, nifedipine, nimodipine, nitrendipine, diltiazem, verapamil.
- ACE Inhibitors: captopril, enalapril, fosinopril, lisinopril, perindopril, quinapril, ramipril, trandolapril, benazepril.
- Angiotensin II Receptor Antagonists: candesartan, eprosartan, irbesartan, losartan, olmesartan, telmisartan, valsartan.
- Amphetamines (meth-, dex-, amphetamine)
- MDMA (Ecstasy)
- Dextromethorphan (DXM)